She listened for a moment, then
spoke. “I’m sorry, I can’t fill in today. I have company and he’s already
here.”
She nodded, listening to someone
evidently from her place of work.
“Well, I’m sorry, but I just can’t
leave. I’ll see you Monday. Good bye.”
“I hope you’re not in trouble,” I
said. I didn’t want to cause her any concern at work.
She glanced at me and smiled. “If
I am, I am.”
She lay back down on her side and pulled
one of the daybed’s large boxy pillows to her. Arranging it front of her she
wrapped an arm around it and embraced it in a hug. I was envious.
She said she was hungry.
“We can go down to the diner on Amsterdam
Avenue,” I said.
She tilted her head in thought.
“We could buy bread and eggs at the little deli on the corner and make our own
breakfast.”
“Yes.”
She sat up. Her hands slid up her
arms. “But it’s so cold out.”
“You don’t have to come with me,”
I said. “I’ll just run down and be back in five minutes.”
I pulled my loden coat from her
tiny closet and put it on. Then I bent over her as she sat on the couch. She
looked up at me with a questioning look, only a hint of a smile.
“I just wondered,” I said, “if I
should buy … mustard.”
“For what?”
“For … the eggs.” It was obvious I
was just making this up to hover over her.
“Are you going to the store or
not?” she said, now with a smile.
“It’s just such a long, long way
to the corner. I might get cold.”
She popped up and quickly planted
a kiss on my lips. “Hurry back.”
On the street the hard leather
heels of my wing tip shoes tapped sharply on the pavement. I hopped off the
curb onto the upper Manhattan
street. In college less than three months before, I wore only soft sole moccasins
or sneakers. I’d just purchased the wing tips to wear on my first real job. I
was so impressed with the shoes … their comfort, their weight, their message …
that I’d begun to keep them on in the evening and switch from my suit to wool
slacks and a sweater. I dressed as an adult now. And when I thought of it, I
realized this morning was quite adult and also quite special.
The Dos Abogados Deli sat right on the
corner in a neighborhood where English was a second language, a distant second.
Near the front door an ancient meat cooler throbbed out a tired rumbling sound.
I grabbed a package of bacon and slammed the cooler’s door. When I turned from
my task I saw a girl out on the street with a coat like I’d seen in her closet
when I put mine on. She rounded the corner and disappeared down 92nd
Street toward Broadway and the subway. It could
have been her, but she didn’t seem the type to run out on a guy. Unless she had
reconsidered working today. But she knew I was here in the Deli and would have
stopped to tell me. Unless …
No, that hadn’t been her. I
laughed and stepped to the Deli’s other wall. I took a dozen eggs from the dairy cooler and a slid
a loaf of bread from the wire stand beside it.
My arms full, I brought everything
to the counter. Rafael manned the cash register.
“Thank you for journeying to my uncle’s
humble supermarket today, your Lordship.”
Rafael’s Jamaican accent was
somewhat slurred this morning. I never knew if he was sarcastic or had learned
his manners from Edwardian set pieces. The correct answer might have been both.
When he wasn’t waiting on a customer, his nose was stuck in a book
I passed the bacon, eggs and bread
across the counter and he smiled brightly. “Going to make breakfast today, Your
Grace?”
”I’m feeding a woman,” I said.
“Most of us are, kind sir.”
“No, I mean we ... uh … we spent
the night together and I’m getting things for her to make us breakfast.”
“You are gentleman and worthy of
your station in life, Master.”
Busy punching the prices into his
cash register Rafael was unfazed by my singular announcement. This was a
momentous occasion. I had never had the opportunity to proclaim anything like
it in my entire life. Since reaching puberty some years before I had bought
popcorn, hot dogs, and cotton candy for two or three girls. And occasionally an
inexpensive meal. But I had never brought groceries home to a woman. Nor spent
an entire night with a girl, despite nothing of any importance happening. Still,
I was beside myself with the heady thought that my life as a man was off to a
great start. I was with a young woman who didn’t have to be home by midnight.
To be realistic, what could Rafael
possibly say about the most common of morning occurrences between a man and
woman? But somehow he sensed I was impressed with myself.
“Got yourself a girl, huh?” and he
smiled.
“Well, yes,” I said too
matter-of-fact.
As I climbed the stairs up three
floors to the apartment I thought I smelled her perfume in the hallway. The
terrible thought struck me she had indeed left. Sending me out for food was a
ruse, so she could flee from my company and not return home for hours, assuming
I’d be gone by then. She’d gone into work to be with a man she liked better. I couldn’t think of anything I’d said or done
to lose her affection. But I had had indications in the past I might be more
boring than I suspected.
I knocked on the door. Nothing. I
tried the knob, but of course it was locked. This was after all New
York City. Her employer might have called back. A
boyfriend she never mentioned to me may have called. That’s why she didn’t stop
at the Deli to tell me she was leaving. She ran off with a guy who had just
returned from an African safari. Or maybe with an entire rock band, back from
their successful concert tour. What did I know about her, really?
This was silly. I was standing in
the hallway with a bag of eggs and bacon and I was getting hungry. I knocked
again, this time louder. I heard the sound of her springing up off the day bed.
“I fell asleep,” she said, opening
the door.
“Understandable, since we’ve been
up all night.”
“Were you waiting very long?” she
said.
“No, you must have woken up right
away.”
She took the bacon and eggs and bread
from me and moved to the tiny kitchen on the end wall of the studio apartment.
Soon the wonderful smell of frying
bacon filled the apartment. I set the table with dishes from the cupboard that
held six plates and six of everything else except for five coffee cups. Maybe
she had thrown a cup at one of the rock musicians. We sat down and ate our
scrambled eggs and bacon with instant coffee and wonderfully burnt toast.
”What are you doing today?” I
asked.
“Nothing. Want to walk in the park
down by the river?”
“Yes,” I said. I was delighted to
be asked. “We can walk up toward Grant’s Tomb.”
“That’s over twenty blocks.”
“Yes, but I think I need a nap,” I
said.
She looked at me, then down at the
table. For an instant I wondered if I should have said that. What the hell, I thought, I’m a man. She took
a breath and then laughed lightly.
“I’ve never fed a man before.”
”Not your brother or father?” I asked.
”Not your brother or father?” I asked.
“You know what I mean,” she said.
“It’s no big deal,” I said,
smiling as I needled her. “It’s not as if breakfast is ever a momentous
occasion.”
“I also do lunch and dinner,” she said, “but
only if I like you.”
“Do you like me?” I asked.
“Yes,” she said.
“You don’t have to make lunch for
me. We’ll get something at a restaurant after our walk.”
“And after my nap,” she said.
I nodded yes.
“You can sleep in the chair,” she
said. “I’ll take the day bed.”
I wondered how I’d ever fall
asleep, listening to her breathe as she lay hugging that lucky pillow just a
few feet from me in the tiny living room. I wondered how long I’d have to stay
in my chair.
.copyright
2014 by David Griffin