Monday, April 27, 2015

CONTINUED: Jimmy Bean 4





Katie was a lot bigger than me as well as most of the kids in our class and she usually got what she wanted.  The big brat grabbed my sword and pulled with all her might.  She put her back into it and tried to whip the stick from me.  I held on and she swung me right up off the ground.  I slammed into the metal fence that surrounded the school yard.  I bounced off and wound up flat on my back on the ground with my skirt hiked up to the top of my legs.  When I looked up, there he stood, Jimmy Bean, a boy a year ahead of me in school.  

He stood before me with a smile on his face as I brushed down my skirt and scrambled to my feet.  His hair was almost red, but more blonde.  He was lovely.  The sun behind him lit his golden curls and I thought,  “what a beautiful boy!”

“I’m Jimmy Bean.” If he had said he was an angel I’d have believed him.

“You’re who?”  I asked, hoping he would say his wonderful name again.

He said nothing, but just kept smiling.

“Jimmy Bean?”  I finally said.

“I am.” he said, now laughing.  “And you’re Mary Grace, my friend’s neighbor.”

“I am?” I said.

“You are,” said Jimmy Bean.  He winked at me, turned and walked away. 

I watched his square shoulders move across the playground as he joined a group of boys who were looking my way and laughing.  But they stopped as Jimmy Bean came up to them and he assumed a position in the middle of the group.  He commanded respect, I saw that.  Something in his eyes and bearing, just the way he moved his limbs, told you here was someone who mattered.  Katie saw it too when she ran away at his approach.  That’s what Irene told me as we walked home from school.

“He scared her away just by looking at her,” said Irene.

“He’s not scary to me,” I said.

She hugged herself.  “Those green eyes of his ....”

“Jimmy Bean rescued me, Irene,” I said.  “He rescued me!”

“But Mary, you’re too young to have a boyfriend.”

“Jimmy said he’s your friend, Irene.”

”He’s my brother Tommy’s friend,”  she said.