Saturday, September 19, 2015

CONTINUED: Beer Battered PBJ



   Uncle Jack opened the very first (and last) BBPBJ Stand in the garage behind his house on Mortimer  Street. I can’t tell you how much he spent on a splendid sign, constructed with replaceable numbers. It read, “O’Dooley’s Beer Battered PBJ - 0000003 SOLD.” He placed it out in front of his house near the curb and hoped  to siphon Mortimer Street traffic to his business.

     The neighbors were excited to have an entrepreneur amongst them… excited, not pleased.

After a month of very few sales , Jack became convinced he needed more publicity. He called me up one night to discuss the problem.  At the time I was the only member of our family crazy enough to listen to him. He had worked his way down through the family’s age groups before he found my sympathetic ear. I thought Uncle Jack  was interested in my entrepreneurial skills.  I’d had some business success with my paper route in high school. I recommended he move his sign down the street to the corner of a busier thoroughfare. The next afternoon I helped him drag it to a new location next to the dry cleaner on South Street. Two days later it was gone.

“Taken by someone who is going to steal my idea,” he moaned over the phone when he called.

Not really. While Jack was out, the dry cleaner had called Jack’s house to complain, intimidating my Aunt Alice.  She telephoned me with an offer of $5 to take the sign in my father’s car to the dump. In truth, I transported the sign to behind our house. It seemed too nice to just throw away.

“Don’t say a word about this,” my aunt whispered over the phone when I called to say the deed was done. “Maybe he’ll forget about the damned thing.” I didn’t tell her I had the sign in my back yard.

Uncle Jack was inconsolable. I felt so bad I was the cause of his sorrow, especially when on the third call to me that evening he was close to tears.

“Without that sign,” he sniffled, “no one will ever know of my creation.”

“You could have another sign made,” I said.

“That sign cost me all the spare cash I’ll have for months,” he said.

“Well,” I said, “why not put an ad in the paper? Offer a reward and maybe the culprit will put the sign back on the corner.”  And hopefully farther away from the dry cleaner.

The ad appeared the next day in the newspaper. “Reward: For the return of my sign ‘O’Dooley’s Beer Battered PBJ Emporium – 0000009 SOLD.”  I put the sign back on the corner late that night. No one collected the reward, of course.

Because of the ad, a local reporter showed up two days later with a photographer in tow and the result was a big spread in the Sunday newspaper’s Neighbors section.  000009 almost immediately zoomed up to 0000187.

Uncle Jack was back in business. Practically everyone knew of him and his sandwich now, including the City Health Department, the State Business Practices Board, the Alcohol Board of Control, the Internal Revenue Service , the nearby Third Avenue Baptist Church and even the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. More than one of them offered him a deal he couldn’t refuse.  No one ever heard of his sandwich again.

Years passed before Aunt Alice would have anything nice to say about me. At my wedding she told my new wife, “Don’t believe a word he says.  You never know what he’s hiding in the back yard.”

“I guess I’ll find out,” said my new wife.

“And he never gave me back my five dollars,” she said, shaking her head.




copyright 2013, David Griffin
The Windswept Press
Murrells Inlet, South Carolina
dave@windsweptpress.com