The bomb didn't work as I hoped it
would. I mixed all the ingredients, poured the stuff in a foot-long mailing
tube and glued an M-80 firecracker inside as a detonator. Me and my friend
George carried it behind the garage to
Mrs. Malozzi’s garden, lit the fuse and ran back behind the corner of the
garage. If the bomb had successfully exploded as intended, with approximately two
pounds of gunpowder ripping open the afternoon sky, running behind the corner of the building would have been
about as useful as raising an umbrella in a nuclear attack. Half of Cornhill
would have felt the shock wave.
The M-80 exploded with a deafening
bang, but luckily the ingredients didn't ignite. Instead, saltpeter showered over the garden. Turns out saltpeter
is also a great fertilizer. Mrs. Malozzi
still talks about how great the tomatoes were that year.
A few days after what George and I
would forever refer to as the “Great Fertilization,” Dad was driving me to
school when Peggy Lee’s “Fever” (when you touch me!) came on the car
radio. Dad reached over and turned it
off. Just to annoy him, I said,
“Nice song.”
“No, it isn’t,” he replied.
There was dead silence for a
moment and I always knew what that meant.
We were going to have a talk.
“Mr. Luzeri called me,” he
said. “Seems you bought a lot of saltpeter.”
I still knew nothing of the
chemical’s withering effect on males.
And you told him it was for me,”
he continued.
Surely, Mr. Luzeri didn’t think my
father was making bombs!
“But we figured you bought it for yourself," said
my father. "And you know, saltpeter
can be dangerous.”
Could Dad have heard about the explosion in the tomato
patch?
“So, David, I just
wanted to say that some things in a boy’s life are very natural and you shouldn’t
worry so much about it or use chemicals to ...
well, to dry it up.”
“You mean blow it up, Dad?”
“Well, yes, that too.”
“It was just an experiment, Dad.”
“I’m sure,” he replied.
“I just wanted to see if it worked.”
“Uh huh.”
“And if it did, I was going to write it up for the school
newspaper.”
My father slowed the car and brought it to the curb. He set the brake and turned to look at me.
“You certainly don’t think they would print it, do you?”
“No, probably not. But they’re always looking for personal
experiences.”
“David,” he said, “no school newspaper is going to print a
story about a kid who eats a box of saltpeter to keep from having an … an …”
A great light opened in my mind and I understood what we
were discussing. I was really embarrassed. So was he.
“To keep from having,” he began again, “an … an …
I said the word for him, beating him to the punch.
“Yes,” he said, “ that’s what I was going to say.”
Now I understood. Mr. Luzeri had indeed looked at me very
strangely that day. But who
in their right mind would want to … to dry it up, anyway?
“David, tell me you are not going to write it up for the school
paper."
“Of course not,” I said.
The rest of the ride was
silent. I wanted to tell him I wasn’t
stupid enough to eat all that saltpeter.
That we used the stuff to make a bomb.
But admitting to trying to blow up a tomato patch wasn’t a pleasant
thought.
Finally, as we pulled up in front of the school, I said, “I really didn’t eat a box of
saltpeter, you know.”
“I can tell,” he said, “You’re still breathing.”
“And it wasn’t the kind of experiment you’re thinking
of. I just can’t tell you about it.”
“Or you’d have to kill me?”
“Somebody might get killed, yes.”
He sighed, “You’ll be late for school. Why don’t you go and
sin no more.”
“Yup, good idea,” I said.
“See you tonight.”
That evening, I quietly marked the pages on gunpowder in the
encyclopedia. I drew a bold circle
around the ingredients list and underlined
the word, “saltpeter” twice. Then I drew what I hope looked like a tube and
wrote “firecracker” on it. I was never
sure Dad came across it as I had intended, but years later as my wife and I
were leaving for our honeymoon, he hugged
me goodbye and said, “Don’t eat any
firecrackers tonight.”
Back to Facebook https://www.facebook.com/DaveBrotherJesse
Back to Facebook https://www.facebook.com/DaveBrotherJesse
Copyright by David Griffin, 2008
The Windswept Press
Murrells
Inlet, South
Carolina
No comments:
Post a Comment