Sunday, May 26, 2013

Finger Painting With Words

continued from main page, "Finger Painting With Words"



by Moe O'Brien


According to my older sister, I had to stay inside the lines when I put crayon to paper. The nuns told me that I had to modify the verb with the adverb and the noun with the adjective. At the time I remember thinking, who gives a damm, but the diagramming of endless sentences in sixth grade proved me wrong. Well maybe it wasn’t so much the diagrams as much as it was the red marks on my test papers. My parents harped constantly about the polite manner in which to respond to my elders. It was ‘‘Yes Sir and Yes Maam.’ I grew up then, working my butt off, to avoid making mistakes.

I am now seventy-two years old and I’m here to tell you that I want to be honorable and I definitely wish to be more useful. I now realize that being afraid of making a mistake has kept me from doing. So my first step in this new freedom ride is finger painting. There are no rules here and I am loving it. One simply dips a finger or a whole hand if you want (who gives a damm?) into the delicious oozy paint and smear it on to a wall or paper or floor or a piece of furniture. I would advise that you don’t try it on your pet. All you have to do then is freely and flamboyantly, with rhythm and joy, wave your instrument around and see what happens. Whatever happens is sheer fun. It may not be correct according to someone else, but it is right for you. 
 
Please try it out. I’ve got my fingers in red paint right now and I bet you think I’m painting a heart. Of course, why wouldn’t you think that? I mean red means love and it means a heart and it means Valentine’s Day. For me right now, it means freedom. And I don’t feel the need to add blue and white. I am free.