A favorite topic when
brothers meet are shared memories, although many times one of us might say to
the other, “Do you remember when we …” and receive a blank stare in
return. But more often we struck a vein
of shared recollection and each of us took turns mining the gold and polishing
it without guilt.
Long ago we discovered
that our overnight visit to a farm at ages seven and nine in the summer of 1949
produced in each of us an identical epiphany, a weekend we would never forget. A
poet might say we were struck by an abiding image that became etched into our
minds. But to us it was simply a special
memory to last a lifetime. The visit to
Uncle Ed and Aunt Ida’s farm would provide fond memories to pull out and re-live
whenever we got the chance.
"I'll never
forget our visit to Uncle Ed's,” I said as I reached in front of Paul to grab
the beer nuts. The old pendulum wall
clock behind the bar struck three o’clock as we stood drinking beer on a Saturday afternoon. Mr. Walsh provided no stools. And for some reason, no ash trays.
"Me, either,” said
Paul. "What exactly do you
remember?"
"Everything," I answered. "We drove all day to
somewhere near Fulton."
"We left Utica early,” he said.
“It took all of Saturday morning to get there. I think we were near a town
named Onionville."
"It seemed like we were there
for a week," I said.
"Just Saturday and
Sunday," he said "But we did a lot."
“We brought Grandma,” I said.
“Ed and Ida were her distant
relatives,” said Paul.
“You and me and Grandma in the
back seat,” I said
“All the way to Onionville,” said
my brother. “There must be a reward in heaven for that.”
“She gurgled,” I said.
“At both ends,” he said.
“Hey,” I said, “remember the pond?”
“It was a lily pond,”
he said. The shallow piece of water was
suddenly vivid in my memory. It was no
more than 20 feet across.
"Out in front
near the road, over toward the barn," I said.
"And we
wondered,” he said, “if a frog could really sit on a lily pad without sinking
it.”
“Grandma would have certainly sunk it,” I
said.
“We waited there for a frog to show up while Dad
unpacked the car,” he said. “We were
always helpful.”
“You asked Grandma to sit in the pond,” I said. “She
laughed and asked you why.”
His face became animated like an earnest nine year
old. “I told her it would be better than the best ... the best fart in a
bathtub ever!”
We laughed loudly and from up the bar near the beer
taps Mr. Walsh gave us the evil eye. He wiped his hands on a bar towel and
began to move in our direction. His trip was interrupted by a waitress
from the restaurant side of the business seeking drinks for her customers.
“Grandma was not a fan of toilet
humor,” I said.
“She chased me around the yard,” he said, “and would
have run through the lily pond to catch me.”
“Poor frogs,” I said.
As we talked I was
amazed that both of us recalled so many details of a visit from almost thirty
years before.
“Do you remember riding the sulky mower with
the sickle bar sticking out?” I asked.
“Yup,” he replied,
“with the hired man. His name was – “
“Skizzer,” I shouted.
“Skizzer,“ Paul
shouted.
“Who would name their
kid Skizzer?” I said.
“And do you remember
watching them milk the cows?” he said. “Uncle
Ed had 31 milkers.”
“Yes,” I said, “with
an 18,000 pound
Rolling Herd Average”
“You’re full of crap,”
Paul said. “No seven year old would remember
a Rolling Herd Average thirty years later.”
“Well, about 18,000 pounds,” I said, “give or take.”
“We had chicken and
dumplings for supper,” Paul said. “Aunt
Ida said the bird was fresh killed early that afternoon. Right out in the barn.”
“I remember,” I said.
“But you wouldn’t eat it,”
he said, “because you’d been playing with the chickens that morning.”
“That’s not true,” I
said. “I remember every tasty morsel. Besides, you don’t play with chickens. They bite.”
“I didn’t know that,”
he said, pouring beer from my bottle into his glass. “They looked so cute.”
“I had to explain to Estelle
and Monica why their friend was missing,” I said.
”Who?” said Paul
“The remaining
chickens.” I said.
“You’re full of it. “ he said.
“But,” I said, “you
wouldn’t eat any of the bullheads Uncle Ed raised in the pond.” I sounded
triumphant like a younger brother.
“Of course not,” he said,
“they’d just signed a truce with the frogs.”
“Stop drinking my
beer,” I said.
“Hey, remember that
old lumpy bed we had to sleep in?” he asked.
“Yeah,” I replied, “it
was Skizzer’s and he offered to sleep in the bunk downstairs off the kitchen.”
“You wet the bed,”
said Paul.
”I did like hell,” I almost shouted.
”I did like hell,” I almost shouted.
“I can still remember
waking up thinking someone was pouring water on me,” he said.
“Maybe the window was
open,” I said.
“Maybe you stood up in
bed when you –“
“I did not wet the
bed!” I shouted.
Behind the bar, Mr.
Walsh began to move down our way. He
never liked anyone getting loud in his establishment. This was an Irish bar. Customers
were expected to stand there and get loaded without making a lot of noise.
Paul and I put on
innocent faces, like those we practiced our entire boyhood for Dad when he
heard us arguing at night and showed up in our room.
“I did eat the
watermelon,” I said.
“We never ate a watermelon
before,” said my brother. “You asked for
a fork.”
“For defense,” I said.
“I thought I saw legs underneath it.”
“Tony Talerico from Taylor Ave. told me he almost choked to death on the seeds when
he first tried watermelon,” said Paul. “But
he was trying to eat the watermelon on one side of his mouth and store up the
seeds on the other so he could spit them out at Bobby Jones.”
“At a high velocity,” I said, “like a burp gun.”
“He got pretty good at
it when we were in the Marine Corps together,” said Paul.
“Remember getting up
at dawn?” I asked.
“Sure,” he said, “more
milking.”
“And Sunday was Uncle
Ed’s day to pick up all the other farmers’ milk cans and take them to the Dairy
League,” I said.
“Aunt Ida said he chose
that day to get out of going to church,” said Paul.
“They were Protestant,
like Grandma,” I said.
“We wondered if it was
a sin to miss church if you were Protestant,” he said.
“You asked Grandma,” I
said.
“And she told me
Protestants didn’t have as many rules as us,” he said
“Except for drinking,”
I said.
“Yeah, some of them,”
he said. “Good thing it’s not a sin for us Catholics.”
“Would it matter?” I
said.
“No,” he said. “Not at
this point.”
“Dad was upset when he
found out there was no Catholic Church within miles to go to on Sunday morning,”
I said.
“He probably thought
we’d all go to hell,” Paul said.
“Grandma said God had
better evidence than that to kick him off heaven’s invitation list,” I said.
“But Dad was a
stickler for the rules,” said Paul. “He
told me once when I was a teenager I should tell the priest in confession if I
had impure thoughts about Mary Lou Kowalski.”
“Who was she?” I said.
“Some girl I liked who
became a nun,” he said.
I laughed. “Maybe you should
have told her your thoughts, not the priest.”
“I don’t think she
liked me enough to marry me,” said Paul.
“When she caught me looking at her in class, she’d stick her fingers
down her throat and pretend to throw up.”
"Not a good
omen," I said.
“She carried it too
far one day and ruined her test paper.”
"She should have
aimed for her ink well," I said.
He sighed. “I probably
shouldn’t have tried to kiss her when we were up at the blackboard together
working on algebra equations.”
"Really?" I said.
"A thunderstorm
knocked the electricity out and the room went dark," he said. "She
screamed and threw her arms around me."
“That's
understandable,” I said. “Deeper minds than mine have concluded sex and algebra
don’t mix, until you add lightning."
He finally finished my
bottle of beer, ordered another from Mr. Walsh and paid him from the few bills
I had put down in front of me on the bar.
“That was some truck
Uncle Ed had for the milk can run,” Paul said.
“He said it was ‘war
surplus.’” I said. “No wonder we won.”
“We all rode up on the
front seat,” I said.
“You and me and Dad
and Uncle Ed driving,” said Paul.
“It was a huge truck,”
I said. “The top of the dashboard was over my head. All I could see were puffy white clouds up
through the windshield.”
“I don’t know if Uncle
Ed could see much more,” he said. “Don’t you remember he forgot his glasses?”
“That’s right,” I
said. “Dad had to read the road name
signs to him.”
“Uncle Ed kept saying,
‘Jack this can’t be Onion Ring Road, it ain’t bumpy enough.’”
“So he did a three
point turn, or tried to,” I said.
“Drove us right in the
ditch,” said Paul. “Good thing we were
near a house with a phone.”
“Skizzer came and
pulled us out with old Donner and Blitzen,” I said. “Too bad we never got to ride those
horses. Why go to a farm if you can’t
ride the horses?”
“I thought he called
the horses Dancer and Prancer,” said Paul.
“No,” I said, “that’s
what he called us when you and I were running around the house looking for the
bathroom.”
“Mom wasn’t pleased when
Aunt Ida told her it was out in the back yard,” said Paul.
“A two-holer,” I said.
“Uncle Ed said it was more modern than the old one. A big improvement.”
“I suppose,” he said.
“If you had a bad cold
and couldn’t smell,” I said.
“Ah well, it was a
great weekend,” said Paul. “Except for
the ride home.”
“Fog as thick as milk,”
I said. “Dad got out and walked ahead while Mom drove along slowly so he could
make sure we stayed on the pavement.”
“Only through one or
two really deep dips in the road,” said Paul.
”Good thing we weren’t on the Thruway,” I said.
”Good thing we weren’t on the Thruway,” I said.
“Wasn’t built yet,” he
answered.
“The fog scared
Grandma,” I said.
“Scared the gas right
out of her,” he said.
“She erupted,” I added,
laughing.
“Maybe that was the
real reason why Dad got out and walked ahead of the car,” said Paul.
Mr. Walsh made his way
down the bar to us again. “You boys want another?” he asked. His grey eyebrows
arched and he looked like he wanted us to say no.
We decided it was time
to leave. Outside, autumn’s late
afternoon sun was quickly heading down in the sky. We walked across the street to our parked
cars in the small shopping center opposite what was then King Cole Ice Cream.
“Would you ever want
to live on a farm? Paul asked.
“Yes,” I said. “It can afford a healthy and wonderful life.
I picture myself sitting around the old kitchen in the morning waving goodbye
to my hired hands as they go out to the barn and fields to do all the work.”
“This has a familiar
ring,” he said.
“I remain behind in
the kitchen to flirt with the young milkmaid. In the afternoon after a brisk
ride on Donner or Dancer or whoever, I casually wait for my factotum to arrive
back from the city with baskets of cash from the sale of our milk, cheese and
whatever else you grow on a farm.”
“You always liked
someone else doing your work for you,” he said.
“You should remember,”
I said, “that on the few occasions when Mom insisted we wash the supper dishes,
it was you who always made me dry the
silverware and the glasses while you took the easy job of drying the plates.”
“We were a good team,
though,” he said. “We mostly talked her
out of it, said we had too much homework to do.”
“Or that Sister Hyronica
said we should watch The Lone Ranger that night,” I said, “because the episode
had a Christian message.”
“Mom believed you,
even when the show was about a mine explosion,” he said, “and you told her it
was the silver mine where Judas’ thirty pieces of silver came from.”
“She didn’t really
believe us,” I said.
“You’re right,” he
said. “She just loved us.”
“She was a pushover
for sure,” I said.
“I wonder how many
times in our boyhood we actually did the
dishes,” he said.
”Eighteen times,” I said. “I counted them.”
”Eighteen times,” I said. “I counted them.”
He made a scoffing
noise. “You’re full of –
“Manure,” I said. “Cow manure.”
Paul stopped walking
abruptly and looked at me.
“You pushed me into
that cow pie near the barn when we came home from the milk run. Don’t say you didn’t.”
“Not on purpose,” I
said. “I was running from Estelle and Monica.
They knew I ate their best friend.”
copyright
David Griffin, 2013
The
Windswept Press
Murrells
Inlet, South Carolina
www.windsweptpress.com
No comments:
Post a Comment