I’m
thirteen years old, sitting under a tree
along the side of the fairway on Utica’s
Valley View golf course, thinking
of everything I’ll do in life, now that I’m a man. The sky is a blazing splash of blue, with a
few white puffy October clouds blowing across to the horizon. Someday, I’m sure I’ll fly up there among the
clouds.
I’m
sixteen years old and walking along Genesee Street on Saturday night with a real
girl on our way to the movies. She has
the smell of perfume and the wind and the rain in her hair. I’m the happiest teen alive.
I’m
twenty two years old and standing at the altar in a church as the most
beautiful woman I’ve ever met comes down the aisle. I will cherish her. Regrettably, I will sometimes make her
cry. I will always love her. She is my life.
I’m
23 years old and I’m looking at my first born, a son, my pride and my occasional
challenge. And then I’m 25 years old at the birth of the second most beautiful woman in the world,
my daughter, who might someday be displaced in that role by her two daughters. You could not have convinced me that children
were that important before I became a father.
You cannot convince me otherwise today.
I
remember standing at the side of each of my children as they were married. On each of their wedding days, I was the most
dazed of the guests. I can’t believe
what I started.
Then,
too quickly it seems, I’m sitting here
at the keyboard, older now, but happy for the way my life has played out. I can’t see what’s up ahead on the highway,
but I can see where I’ve been, where I came from. I know who I am when I remember me.
copyright
2007 by David Griffin
The Windswept
Press
Murrells
Inlet, South Carolina
Write to me. www.windsweptpress.com
No comments:
Post a Comment