But it’s no surprise I’ve lusted over Lucy’s ample figure. I’m just a man. Lucy, Immy, Sally are lovely souls, each one special in my eyes. But in one sense they're all the same to me as male. Carl Jung explained them as my anima. In "Two Essays in Analytical Psychology," he said, “The whole nature of man presupposes woman, both physically and spiritually. His system is tuned into woman from the start, just as it is prepared for a quite definite world where there is water, light and air.” My anima is like a dress I began to stitch as a child. It’s sewn from my psycho-social-sexual dreams. From time to time I drape it over a woman and think I’m in love with her. That’s not a condition of the male psyche one gets over easily, if he gets over it at all.
I
do have to constantly work on quelling the self, whether it be the greedy self,
sexual self or just the normal inflated ego.
We have a tradition in our order when we enter the cloister of reducing
our self-importance. Our name is changed
to that of a patron saint.
Long ago someone in authority upped the ante by deciding brothers and priests would take the name of a woman saint. I suppose that’s no different than the thousands of nuns who to this day take a male saint’s name. But I’ll bet sixty years ago when the brothers heard their names would get a sex change, many were quite upset.
Long ago someone in authority upped the ante by deciding brothers and priests would take the name of a woman saint. I suppose that’s no different than the thousands of nuns who to this day take a male saint’s name. But I’ll bet sixty years ago when the brothers heard their names would get a sex change, many were quite upset.
I’m
sometimes asked if I did indeed choose St. Jessica’s name. Yes, I
did. It was not given to me. We were left complete discretion in our
choice. And frankly, I chose it because I wanted to be as anonymous as the
saint.
Not many Christians remember Saint Jessica of Galilee, the wife of Chuza, a steward to King Herod Antipas. She was one of the women who accompanied Mary Magdalene to the tomb on Easter morning. She may have kept her friends a secret from her husband.
Not many Christians remember Saint Jessica of Galilee, the wife of Chuza, a steward to King Herod Antipas. She was one of the women who accompanied Mary Magdalene to the tomb on Easter morning. She may have kept her friends a secret from her husband.
Given
my personality, I hoped Jessica’s name would help dampen my ego and leave me
forgotten. Her name didn’t diminish my ego one bit, but it turns out I have
been completely forgotten anyway. I’m a monk, so I guess that’s OK. But
it would be nice to hear from my birth brothers once in a while. Not counting
them, there are only two or three relatives left to die and then I won’t have
any family funerals to go to. What a shame. I’ll miss the food.
At
funerals I have stood innocently next to
a pretty woman and pretended we were married. Just for a minute or so. I’d join a circle of men and women discussing
one topic or another, usually having nothing to do with the dearly departed. There
was always a brief patter of Hellos to me and What’s New? (Nothing is ever new
in a monastery. Sometimes I quip,”Do you mean since the year 1200?”) The group
would resume their discussion and happily ignore me. I’d choose a woman in the circle, usually a lady
next to me, and turn slightly toward her as men and women do if they are a
couple. I’d steal furtive glances at her
to fix a firm picture of the woman in my mind.
And then I would let my imagination play with what she might say about
her real husband, imagining myself in that role. Soon I’d have thoughts of driving home with
her, picking up milk and bread at the convenience store and sitting around in
the evening discussing the theology of Thomas Aquinas. It’s a little mind game I believe helps me
through the lonely times.
If
I had married someone instead of becoming a monk, this morning the woman and I
might have shared our …. oh, maybe our 16,427th breakfast together. I wonder
what we could have possibly talked about on sixteen thousand mornings. “Pass
the butter” and “How about those Yankees?” 16,000 times would probably not help
to form a scintillating relationship.
But I may be wrong. The right woman might not care what we talked about.
Although
my residence in a cloistered monastery makes it a little easier to deal with, I
must acknowledge I’m a single male in a world dedicated to coupled males and
females. Sex can be distracting and has
caused much grief over the ages. but any evolutionist will tell you the
invention of sex made the development of our world extremely efficient and sped
up the process by billions of years.
I
can’t change my biology. Like monks have in the past, I live with it as
best I can. But I don’t totally deny it. I lay awake some nights yearning for a
woman to lie beside me. To talk to, share my thoughts and dreams and to tell my
fears. To lay my head upon her breast and listen to her heart beat, to smell
her sweetness. To feel so close to another human being, another soul. And to
have planned a life together, to have raised children and to have sat on a
Sunday afternoon after dinner on a wide porch in the soft sunshine and watched
grandchildren play on the grass. A woman to share my body on long walks in the
woods and at night in the peace of our bedroom. To care for her in sickness and
to hold her when she suffered pain or grief.
This
is what I gave up to become a monk. I didn’t fully appreciate my sacrifice when
I decided as a young man to enter the religious life. I didn’t know I was going
against every cell in my body in remaining celibate. I knew I could live
without the young woman I was involved with before entering the novitiate.
Leaving her was in some ways a relief. But I didn’t know life without any woman
would eventually become a hell of loneliness.
My
old abbot often worried I would one day in a funk fling myself off the roof of
the Chapter House. But only once was I tempted to join the spirit on the
horizon … to step off the roof into her arms. It happened after a storm
thundered down the mountain and pounded the Chapter House with blasts of wind
and a torrent of rain. When it ended and the stained glass window of St. Lucy
lit up with rays of sunshine through her colored glass, I went up the roof
ladder hoping to see a rainbow. I popped my head out the trap door and swung my
eyes west toward the late afternoon sun. There on the horizon golden edged
clouds blazed, appearing pink and green against a pale blue sky. I made my way
along the peak, crawling up to the edge of the roof. I became overwhelmed with
yearning. It frightened me to suddenly feel something pulled inside my
chest. A woman spirit seemed to be calling from over on the horizon, a place
where we might live forever.
As
the sun burst free of the clouds and began to warm the roof, the bell rang for
Vespers and I headed back down for Chapel. I backed down from the
peak to the trap door. Then I backed into the roof hole, closed the hatch and
backed down the ladder. I backed down all the way. I'm always backing down.
When
I go up on the roof and look out over the valley I often sense something that
is feminine. I can’t say why. It may be the lush fruitfulness of a summer
afternoon as the haze rises from the river that runs through the valley to
suckle the trees and grasses. It may be the wind whispering to me, playfully
tousling me, wrapping its arms around me. It may simply be how the ineffable
creator has chosen to remind me that I will always be incomplete and feel
overwhelmed by a yearning I cannot explain. What I feel as a void
in my life ... what I think of as my sacrifice ... may represent the deepest
desire for an ultimate communion with the one who made me and yearns to have me
home. She waits for me.
Back to Facebook https://www.facebook.com/DaveBrotherJesse
Back to Facebook https://www.facebook.com/DaveBrotherJesse
David
Griffin
copyright 2016
The Windswept Press
Murrells Inlet, South Carolina
www.windsweptpress.com


No comments:
Post a Comment