Friday, July 15, 2016

CONTINUED: Everyone Is Selling Something



In the days before the "eggs" that are now sold with rolled up pantyhose inside, stockings came in thin white cardboard boxes lined with tissue paper.  Each pair had printed on the edge of the box the gauge; the color and the size.  When the customer would ask to see her desired choice; we would open the box;


fold back the tissue paper; slowly slip our hand inside the top of the stocking and gracefully show the sheerness of the gauge.  Displaying the stocking was an art and long fingers with lovely polished fingernails at the end of each digit was essential to show off Miss Johnson's stock.   While I had the nicely polished fingernails, I couldn't change the length of my fingers, and I suspect that is why I was moved into the sweater department where I excelled in form and deed.   There, I had no trouble displaying the beautiful colors;  keeping the stock in orderly piles when called upon to show it and explaining the merits of Wool over cotton....or over anything else. 
Jessie McGuire, was my Sweater manager, slightly older by two or three yrs. and six inches shorter.   She was what we would now call a dynamo except the word wasn't used in that respect then.  Miss McGuire was neatly packaged into a neat frame of  4'10".  She was a pretty curly headed brunette with blue eyes, extremely efficient and charming.  She caught the eye of all Arnold Constable's single male counterparts....even some who were not so single.  To make up for her short stature she balanced herself on three inch high heels and walked quickly over the mosaic floors.   (I can still hear the click click click of those heels as she passed between the Sweater and Blouse aisle, heading for the stock room where she took her break.) 
Salesgirls were not allowed to sit down behind the counter.  Indeed, there were no seats.  We had to be on our feet, always ready to answer any questions the customers had.  Talking to friends or relatives that came in to chat or to guys that came in to ask for a date, was strictly frowned upon so it had to be done surreptitiously while informing the "customer" of the quality and color of  Arnold Constable's newest wool cardigan.  Mr. Edgbert was the floor walker who kept constant vigil making sure we all played strictly by the company rules.   My sales experience of always being kind and friendly to customers was learned and highly developed within the walls of the Arnold Constable establishment, which proves you can always learn something valuable from every job - even from selling in a department store.    
A move to California to help in the Country's war effort ended my career with A.C. and I again took up my chosen profession of selling... but this time it was in a hole in the wall in the small town of Richmond, outside of San Francisco.  It was one shop really, divided in half, down the middle with a photographer on one side and a jeweler on the other.  I was the photographer but to call me that was quite a laugh because it was one of those places where you got five pictures for a quarter - or was it .50 cents?  There wasn't much selling involved.   I just had to place the customer on a stool, turn on the lights; stand by the small door and push a button five times; enter the door;  put the film in a solution and wait for the image to develop.  Our customer's were mostly from the armed forces and it was easy to please the boys.  No real selling, but a steady flow of customers and lots of fun!
A side benefit was what I learned in the art of selling from listening to the technique of the jeweler's wife, Stella.  She invariably looked at the watch coming in for repairs, and before giving any information as to why it didn't keep good time, her declaration was that it was dirty and had to be cleaned first.....".and that will be $14.95".  I suppose each industry has it's nuances but this put me wise in the years to come whenever I entered a jewelry store to be on guard for the standard response of cost repair.  
The war ended before we experienced a full year and our return trip back to the East coast was made without needing to use any gas rationing coupons.  Gas flowed from every pump at the gas station which was a welcome surprise!
Marriage and four children kept me in the hospital, the kitchen and the house over a span of some time but eventually my husband needed help with the finances.  I wanted to be an at home Mom so with  furniture and other goods supplied by relatives and friends I held garage sales which was a fairly new industry just starting up. The popularity of my yard sales was so great that at each sale we had to stretch a rope across the end of the driveway to keep the customers at bay until the appointed hour of opening.  Quite often there were 10 or more people waiting.  I would giggle behind the garage door thinking it was not unlike opening up Macy's Department store.   Selling and redistributing those things was easy but eventually I ran out of my own stock of collectibles and was then thrown into the business of Estate sales when friends would ask me to sell their things.  I usually took a commission of 15 percent... which was good money then.  My selling acumen reached fever pitch during this period and many chapters could be written giving the interesting experiences of trying to please both customers and owners.   It was often necessary and at the same time difficult to fend off buyers who wanted to come ahead of the pack with stories like this :  "My sister is having her kidney stone operation tomorrow ..... so could we see what you have for sale today?"   Needless to say, I learned to say politely that, "I advertised antiques and if I sold them the day before the sale, my ad would not be truthful...so please come back tomorrow."  And then there is always the question of:  " You are asking $15.00 for this, can you do better?"  Smiling, I would often say, "Yes,..... how about $15.50?"   One has to know just how to handle that question.   If the item is fairly priced one can hold steady but the trick is to size up the customer and know just when to fold and when not to fold.  It's a fun lesson of jovial repartee in dealing with buyers and I thoroughly enjoy the exercise.  
Real Estate was another try.  I joined a Century One Agency and listed one house - the lovey home of a dear friend who wanted to move back to California.  When the house sold a month or so later, as the listing agent I received a commission of  $900.   Wow!  "That was easy", I thought!   The check was signed by the manager of the branch and I gleefully went to the bank to cash it,  but it bounced!  I was told by the bank teller, that I could come back in a few days and try again.... OR.... I could go back to the Agency and complain.   I chose to do that but the "50 something" manager's young 23 yr. old wife was there  - 8 month's pregnant.   I was told to put the check in again on Tuesday.  I tried, but again the bank teller said there were still no funds there to cover it.  I knew I wouldn't stand a chance of getting my money by appealing to the law before a judge with the very pregnant wife in full view so I gathered my acting ability together and stormed the agency.  The lady owner was the only one in the office - no manager or wife.  Thrusting the bogus check before her, I gave an Academy Award performance announcing my intention of suing the manager, the owner AND Century 21.  She had no knowledge of what the Manager had done. ...so she said.  Whereupon I was told to come back at 7:00 pm and she would have the cash for me.  I arrived back at the exact hour and received all nine crisp one hundred dollar bills in a white envelope.   Thus I voluntarily ended my R. E. selling experience with that Century 21 branch.   What did I learn?   I learned it's not always easy to receive what was rightly mine, compensating me for my time and effort..... but I did enjoy meeting the public. 
After one Christmas season my husband fell into bed with the words that he didn't know how we were going to pay the bills.  We owed both Sears Roebuck and W.T. Grant over $100. each.  (Lots of money in 1965.)  I resolved to try selling (myself) the next morning and without telling my husband my plan,  I rose early, dressed after he left for work and headed first to Sears and the Manager's office.  His secretary did what secretaries do best.... she ran interference and wanted to know the nature of my business.   I gave her no explanation but stated firmly that I wanted to speak privately to the Manager.  Whereupon, after a few minutes of their consulting with each other, I entered the brightly lit office of Mr. Angelone.  He was a good looking Italian man, with rosy red cheeks about my own age.  He sat quietly behind his desk and listened to my story.   I poured it out.  I explained how my husband was worried at not being able to pay the bill and I wondered if I could work it off in some way in some department.  (Remember I had worked for Arnold Constable years before.)  He was so moved, I thought he would be reduced to tears at my very unusual proposal.  I sat waiting for his response.  It came.   He asked what I would like to do and I said, "I'll do anything."   He said, it just so happened that the Coffee Shop needed a night manager because the girls working there were giving away the hot dogs to their boy friends who came in after school.  He asked "Could you work from 5 - 9 each day?"   I was given the job on the spot and I left carrying a size #12, white cotton uniform to wear the very next day.   With joy, I raced home and skipped the thought of asking for a job at the the less attractive store...  W. T. Grant.  When my husband arrived home at the end of the day, he was very happy to hear my news.   After each pay day I marched into the Accounting office and handed over my pay check until the entire bill was paid off.   It only took two weeks.   At the end of that time they asked me if I would like to stay on and and so it was that I worked the next six months until the school year ended and I was needed at home.  In the Fall they asked me to come back and I did that working again until the next summer.  They asked me a third time for another six months, and at the end of that time they offered me the Full Managerial roll of the Coffee Shop.  However, I had to decline because the daughter that was putting the prepared meal on the table was going off to college in the Fall.  The next oldest child was a boy and altho he loved eating potatoes. he didn't know how to cook them.  There remained the youngest boy who was too young to set the table and do the dishes.  Ahhh.... but the lessons I learned during that chapter of my life were many including:  that Management valued loyalty, honesty and dedication.  
After being introduced to the Market Place, so many years ago, with all these challenges, selling our house of 44 years when downsizing was in order, was easy....not to mention selling the various cars that have passed through our lives (and garage) as well.  When you look around everyone is busy selling .... from the hardware store to the bagel store; from the car salesman to the funeral director; from the politician to the bartender; from the Medical Industry and their pills to the NRA and their guns; from the girl on the street corner to the big box stores; from the financial advisor to the guy with illegal drugs.....from eBay to Crag’s List...from television advertisers to gullible listeners......"Everyone is Selling Something"! 

copyright June T. Bassemir, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment