Sunday, July 17, 2016

CONTINUED: theology




I held out the jar.  He looked at it and smiled, rising up from behind his beautiful desk, an old executive’s model probably saved from the dump in recent years.

God was sixty-something years old with gray hair and a paunch littered with pipe ashes.  He was well over six  and a half feet tall.  He just kept going when he stood up,  and I followed him until my neck clicked.    Resembling a  heavy-set Moses,  he would  have passed for a Charlton Heston, though he had less hair.

God looked down from his lofty height and regarded me with a face full of condescension,  He stalked around to the front of his desk and motioned for me to follow him to the florescent light cartons.  Here he allowed me the honor of dragging 500 light bulbs in their boxes over to the conveyor belt to prepare them for their trip to the shipping area below.  The belt ran at a steep angle down between floors and had to be loaded carefully. 

“Cock the boxes a little, like this,” he said, “so they don’t all slide off and crash when you get the belt moving.” 

While I worked, he bestowed upon me some of his encyclopedic knowledge of light bulbs, and droned on through their entire history since Edison.  This God loved light bulbs and everything about then.  As he talked on and on, I became less patient.

And I was in a hurry, to tell the truth.  I wanted to get back down to the office floor to watch blonde and blousy Belinda, the girl who answered the warehouse telephone.  When it rang, she would set her body’s poetry to motion.  She had a way of picking up the phone that just set my heart all a-titter.  As she raised  the instrument to her ear, shiny bracelets and bangles would slide and clang  as one lovely arm brushed across her bosom.   I liked that part.  She flipped her head and pulled her hair back to swing a four inch long earring out of the way.  And just before she said “Hello,”  … I swear I didn’t imagine it, even if I was seventeen … a tiny shrug would begin in her shoulders and flow down over her body.  With clinks and jingles, she greeted the no doubt surprised caller.   To me, her ritual was frankly erotic and might have been outlawed in an earlier time. 

Anyway ….. I was still stuck upstairs and God was beginning to bore me with his prodigious knowledge of lighting technology and his sermon on lumens and filament tensile strengths.  He paced around the floor as he talked, stooping to look out the various windows as though awaiting the return of a lost squad of angels.  He lectured about power ratings and glass safety and Underwriters Laboratories.  He said his biggest vexation was when stuff was left on the belt down on the dock.  It backed up his system.  ”God can’t deliver if the world isn’t ready to receive,” he said.   I hurried through my task without much attention to how I placed the cartons on the belt. 

When I could no longer stand his oration, I pronounced the loading task complete and interrupted his monologue. 

“So,” I said, “you’re the God of light bulbs?”  Turning hard eyes my way, he reared up to his full height and looked down on me.

"I am," he said, "the most senior employee in this company.  Mr. Lewis (the owner) was in diapers when his father hired me."

"Well, that's certainly very interesting," I said, as only a disinterested teenager could say it.

"And this entire business,” he said, “all the people in it, and now yourself included, appear to have no other purpose in life than to entirely piss me off."

"Well..." I began, in defense.

"Except for Belinda," he interrupted.  "She's a lovely girl."

"Yes, she's very...."

"I've seen you mooning at her.  Make one move toward that girl and I'll break both your legs and send you back down the conveyor belt where you came from."

Oddly, I was more impressed with his concern for Belinda than his bullying of me.  I simply nodded  and  left his presence.

The Lord Herb Almighty wasn’t the only employee with a biblical perspective.  The entire crew of men played out a farce all through the work day by speaking only to each other as you might imagine the Apostles did … at least on parchment …  always with a religious overtone or subtext.  I suppose I might have doubted their sincerity, but at that age I seldom questioned the motives of adults.

“Behold, His only begotten son,” Huey said of Gordon one afternoon.  And Louie would ask, “If I’m a worker in the vineyard, where is the wine cellar?”    But I more often heard biblical references to forgiveness.  “All blasphemy will be forgiven, except that against God,” Gordon told Dewey.  “Stop swearing so God damned much,” Hughie told Louie,

The Biblical bits and bites the men used no doubt came from Sunday mornings when their wives dragged them off to church.  They may have been unable or unwilling to accept the proclaimed precepts heard there, because the faith of their fathers had been warped by feminized Christian sensitivities a century before.  This was especially true of the music.  It was doubtful Gordon or his friends would have been  comfortable singing the hymn about “laying my head tenderly on Jesus’ breast.”  So the men cobbled together their own theology to suit the world as they knew it, a process not entirely different from that used by better known theologians.

On a cold afternoon as Christmas neared, the pace got very hectic.  I am still clueless as to why an electrical supply house got so terribly busy around the holidays.  God was thundering around up on the top floor and bellowing down the conveyer belt shaft, damning everyone to hell for all eternity.   Huey, Dewey and Louie were arguing and getting in each others’ way.    Gordon called us into his tiny cubicle.  We all took a deep breath and let our shoulders sag.  Opening a desk drawer, he brought out a Roy Rogers thermos jug, intended for milk in some kid’s lunch box.  Four shot glasses appeared and, excluding me, he poured a finger into each from the thermos that had Trigger’s picture on it.  As they lifted the tumblers, Gordon pronounced, “There is a spirit here that commands forgiveness.  We’re lucky to have it.  It is our covenant.”  As scripture citations go, that was close enough.  Huey said, “Thank you, Jesus.”  Louie said, “Thank you, Roy.”
 I grew accustomed to the men’s chatter and after a while I began to discern a shape to their banter.  They were certainly trying to get along with each other for eight hours a day, yes, but there was more to it than social grease. 


Later in the morning that Saturday, after having loaded the belt upstairs to the best of my lackadaisical ability, I descended from light bulb heaven back to the first floor, where I stationed myself at the foot of the conveyor belt on the indoor part of the  dock.  Crossing my fingers … an intemperate act for a Catholic … I pressed the button to start the conveyor belt.  As I stood waiting for the first box of bulbs to come down, I heard a thump above me, followed by a couple more thumps and then a lot of thumps in rapid succession.   Just as I heard the first crunch of breaking glass above me, an avalanche of boxes came down the belt out of the ceiling, breaking open and bursting out into millions of pieces of glass.  It happened so fast!  I stood there in shock as a Niagara Falls of florescent bulbs showered me from on high.

Gordon ran out of his little cubicle and stood with me among the destruction and debris.  Mr. Lewis came running, too, slipping on the tiny particles of glass strewn across the floor.

“My fault,” Gordon said to Mr. Lewis. “I guess I didn’t load the cartons as well as I thought I had.  We’ll clean this up.  There aren’t as many broken bulbs as it appears.”  Mr. Lewis harrumphed and turned to regard me.  I was trying to look like the most innocent of bystanders.  He spun around and stomped back to his office.

“Geez, I’m sorry, Gordon, “I said.

Gordon looked at me.  “Just think of me as the son of God, sent down to save your sorry ass.”

“Herb’s your father?” I asked.

“That’s what he tells me, Dave.  And he’s the biggest guy here, so I’m not going to argue.”

Over the years I’ve come to realize these young husbands and fathers, who were not especially religious, were working out their personal beliefs as they improvised an on-going religious skit,  performed as a kind of joke but staged on the more serious premise of locating themselves in the universe.   They had only a few years before seen their young lives through the lens of the Korean War, and often endured harrowing combat experiences.  Gordon and his crew … sometimes with the mature leading from “God” on the third floor, when he was behaving himself …  wanted answers and sought a prescription for living.  Not always consciously, the men hammered out  a theology … spelled with a small “t” … that made sense to them and helped to answer their questions and to ease their fears.   They somehow sensed their friendship  could be a sacrament … an outward sign of their regard for each other.  As well, they felt the human need for the mystical.   In the hurly burley of everyday work, even at home in the stressful affairs of heart and family, they yearned for peace and purpose amid the numerous klaxons demanding their attention.  In one way or another, they prayed their lives would not end in desperation.

The son of God and I were down on our knees behind the conveyor belt cleaning up the debris and were unseen by Belinda  when she entered the dock area, hiked up her skirt and tugged her stocking tops up where they belonged.  The most beautiful girl in the world within sight shimmied her skirt back down and then quickly returned to the telephone and desk inside, jingle-jangling all the way.  We had evidently discovered her secret dressing room, and I wondered what else she fiddled with during the course of her work day.

As our eyes followed her back through the door to the office I wondered how I might appease God and gain permission to flirt with Belinda.  I whispered,  “Does God ever grant wishes?”

Gordon turned from watching the girl and looked at me.  “Tomorrow, you could take him two jars of marmalade.”





Copyright by David Griffin, 2007

The Windswept Press
Murrells Inlet, South Carolina

No comments:

Post a Comment