Wednesday, August 12, 2015

CONTINUED: Sassafras Fortune

I had wondered why the sassafras was combined with the cypress and pine. Was it just to rhyme with “purple mass” (grapes) found several lines previously? I did some research. I went to one of my favorite books, Donald Culross Peattie’s A Natural History of North American Trees. I’ll spare you the exaltation I feel every time I read or even think of Peattie’s book, but it is full of lore about trees. Noting sassafras oil’s value as a demulcent to soothe inflamed tissue and an emollient, Peattie gives a short history of the clamor for sassafras, clarifying for me its use in Drayton’s ode. In the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, sassafras roots were grubbed out by thousands to extract the oil. Virginia was a rich site for this harvesting. In the process fields were cleared for other crops. Peattie states that “no other American tree was ever exalted by such imaginary virtues.” The craze began in 1574 with the publication of Joyfull Newes Out of the Newe Founde Worlde by the Spaniard Nicholas Monardes, the “physician of Seville.” His claims for the substance rival the wildest pronouncements for modern dietary supplements and weight loss potions.
As those images and recollections of what I had read swirled in my mind, the perfume of the cut log lightened my head. And then it struck: my nine-acres has sassafras trees, or at least did until the previous owners cut them down. I committed myself to the quest, to search through the thousands of trees of all sizes on the property for live sassafras trees. I sliced a two inch thick crosscut of the log before me, which, by the way, is shaped like South America, and hung it on the wall of my garage as a constant reminder of my sacred search.
But first, I had to learn to identify a sassafras tree. There is no description in Drayton’s poem. The scratchboard etching by Paul Landacre (what a good name) in Peattie’s book is of a full- sized tree (without leaves) in an open field. I had no open fields. There is an illustration of the unique leaves, immature boat-shaped to mature tri-lobed, but it was still early spring with only bare limbs raised and waving around me. Of course, there was the odor, but I didn’t want to notch every unknown tree in my woods to catch a scent of the prey. However, I had taken the vow of the arborist’s quest, and like Sir Percival or maybe more like Don Quixote, I set off metaphorically on my journey.
For the next several weeks, I searched. I confess the search was not unfalteringly focused. It was spring and the woods were coming to life. At first, I did not consciously notice the delicate bluettes or white spring beauties. My springs had mostly been spent in Texas, where overnight dun stubble fields turn into ponds, lakes, oceans of bluebonnets, sprinkled with vibrant patches of red Indian paintbrush. Even the treacherous bull nettle is beautiful in massive white clusters. But here in the Missouri woodlands , the spring blooms hide among the deep litter of oak leaves. When finally I noticed those thumb-sized blooms, I spent much time getting down to eye level with them. These blooms unfolded slowly from day to day. They and all of the other quiet bursts of spring often drew my attention from the trees, and the other trees took my mind off the sassafras. The pink budding of the oaks and the brilliance of redbud and snowfields of dogwood blooms filled my eyes.
Spring turned into summer and summer into fall, and the limbs were bare again. I had not discovered a sassafras fortune nor one lone tree. Had the log I cut into earlier in the year been the corpse of the last sassafras? With the cool of autumn, I began to clear around the house again, carefully selecting the trees I left standing for shape, size, and variety. On one side of the house I plotted out a fenced yard for my dogs and a shed to store wood. There were two large white oaks and a medium-sized bitternut hickory I decided to leave. Among the scores of smaller trees and brush in the area I noticed a thin trunk with green limbs. I recalled reading that such green limbs were signs of sassafras. I cut one of the small limbs and smelled a faint sweet odor that could have been sassafras. I decided to spare the small tree, clear around it, and watch its progress.
In the medieval literature, the protagonist often has a time limit to fulfill his quest. A year fits the cyclic nature of quests. Spring came again and the trees sprouted. As that thin-trunk fledgling put on its new foliage, I studied the leaves. Some of them developed into the tri-lobed shape so distinctive of the sassafras. Here was my sassafras fortune.
A few years later, I discovered one more in another corner of my woods. I doubled my fortune. Sassafras, as most trees, do best in open fields. They can grow to a height of sixty feet with a diameter of eighteen inches. The tree pictured in Peattie’s book is large trunked and fully crowned. After thirty years, mine are still somewhat spindly with an arrow-like profile because of the larger trees that overshade them. The one in the dog-yard has grown more. For twenty-five years I fenced it off to prevent damage from the mower or deer rubbing the velvet off their antlers. Finally, it got large enough that I dismantled the fence.
I do not tramp over my woods as much as I did in my younger days, but I still have the South American shaped slice of log on my garage wall and still look for green limbs or tri-lobed leaves when I do stroll around the nine-acre woods. I may yet increase my fortune.