But Murphy was incessant. She would growl, then get up and run around
the room at top speed, grab a dog toy and start throwing it in the air and then
return to where I was sitting on the floor and attack my feet. That’s her favorite thing to do when she
wants something from me. If I’m wearing
shoes, she will flatten her head down on the floor and try to bite my rubber soles.
If I’m wearing only socks she’ll nip at my toes. Murphy seldom takes No for an answer.
I called the number on the screen
and spoke to a nice young woman I could barely understand. She was probably brought up in America,
but she spoke very fast, and with little regard for enunciation. She treated words as if they were obstacles
to be brushed aside while getting her points across. I wondered if she had ever considered using
words as they had been intended, to express ideas.
“Is this sale for your own
viewing?” she asked.
“No, it’s for my dog.”
“Uh huh,” she said. “Is your dog
over three years of age?”
“Why should that matter?” I asked.
“Three dog years is the same as 21
people years,” she said. “Your dog has
to be over twenty one to buy the DVD.”
“She’s not buying it. I am, and
I’m way over 21 years.”
“But if she’s the main viewer, she
has to be over 21.”
“Wait a minute,” I said. “The dog can’t even turn on the TV herself, so
she can’t be the main viewer.”
“Sir, there are scenes in these
Lassie shows that have been judged by an animal psychologist to be explicit and
objectionable.”
“How do you mean, ‘objectionable’?”
“Lurid and obscene.”.
“That’s ridiculous,” I said.
“Not from a dog’s point of view.”
“I’ve never heard of a dog
psychologist,” I said.
”They’re very popular out here on the West Coast.”
”They’re very popular out here on the West Coast.”
“I can imagine,” I said. “And do they
see things the rest of us don’t?”
“I’m told," she said, "it’s mostly in the way Lassie pants with her tongue hanging out.”
“I’m told," she said, "it’s mostly in the way Lassie pants with her tongue hanging out.”
“I know what you mean,” I
said. “I dated a girl in college who did
that. But never around me.”
“Yes, sir. Before I take your credit card number, let’s
add up your purchases today.”
“Sweetheart, I just want the DVD
for the atrocious price of $19.95.”
“Yes, sir. I’ve given you the 50% discount since you’re
signing up to buy a new DVD every month.
They’ll arrive weekly. Your club subscription charge is also discounted
because you live in a state populated mostly by senior citizens. The Summer Surcharge still applies, but I can
take ten percent off that when you pay your subscription price ahead for five
years.”
“Lassie didn’t make that many
shows, young lady.”
“And that’s the beauty of this
bargain-basement deal, sir. You’ll be
getting a wide variety of television shows, including 150 episodes of The Best
of Dale Evans.”
“Roy’s
horse?”
“No, sir, that was Trigger. Dale Evans was Roy Roger’s wife. In the 1980s she filmed 150 hours of televised
Christian music and homespun advice about absolutely everything on earth and also
in heaven. You’ll be receiving all of
it.”
“I never liked her hair-do,” I
said. “And she never changed it. She
must have finally lain in her casket with the hair-do of a 1930’s teenage girl
from Oklahoma.”
“Yes, sir.”
“Her hair looked like a football
helmet,” I said.
“So-o-o,” said the young woman, “the
grand total of your purchases today is $914.37.”
“What?”
Murphy was now tear-ass-ing around
the living room, dragging the pillows off the couch and arranging them on the
floor like sand bags against the coming flood.
When she heard me tell the young woman on the phone I didn’t want the
Lassie DVD, Murphy came to a screeching
halt and ran over to me as I sat on the floor speaking into the phone. She put both paws up on my forearm and stuck
her face in mine.
“I don’t want the DVD,” I said to
the girl, “if that’s your only deal.”
Murphy growled at me, and it
wasn’t a low growl of pleasure. It was
menacing. I put a hand on her chest and
pushed her away from me. She immediately
came back, put her paws back up on my arm and began to lick the side of my face
with kisses.
“If you can sell me just the
single DVD you advertise on TV,” I said,
“Ill buy only that.”
“Certainly, sir, I can provide that to you today for only
$139.95.”
“But that’s the DVD you’re
advertising for $19.95,” I said.
“I can’t sell it to you for that
price, sir.”
“But you’re not being honest with
—“
“—and you’re not reading the small
print on your TV screen, sir.”
Murphy was now quite agitated. She fell back down on the floor, rolled over
and put a paw on her forehead.
“Look,” said the young woman. “I’m
going to give you my personal family discount of $100 cash off the price. We were going to use it to buy a toboggan,
but I’ll give it to you because you’ve been so understanding and helpful to me
on my first day on the job. That will
bring the price of the DVD … just for you—“
“--for my dog.”
“—down to $39.95, plus postage and
handling.”
I had never given any thought to
my dog being of a romantic orientation that is more inclusive, so to speak..
Perhaps dogs use a different relationship rubric and orientation doesn’t matter
to them. Or perhaps Murphy somehow knew
that some of the nine dogs playing Lassie in the movies and TV series were in
fact male. Turns out males have the
better coat for photographic purposes.
The special handling and shipping upgrade
got the DVD here in eight weeks. That
was eight weeks of Murphy never leaving the front door as she waited each day for
the mailman to bring her the filmed stories of her long dead secret love. Him
or her.
copyright David
Griffin, 2015
Where is David Griffin?
Amazon Author Page:
http://tinyurl.com/q6u3gze
Master List of his Stories on the Web: (read for free)
http://www.windsweptpress.com/stories.htm
The Windswept Press
http://www.windsweptpress.com
The Windswept Journal
http://windsweptjournal.blogspot.com
Amazon Author Page:
http://tinyurl.com/q6u3gze
Master List of his Stories on the Web: (read for free)
http://www.windsweptpress.com/stories.htm
The Windswept Press
http://www.windsweptpress.com
The Windswept Journal
http://windsweptjournal.blogspot.com
The Windswept Press
Murrells Inlet, South Carolina
www.windsweptpress.com