Thursday, August 20, 2015

CONTINUED: Soppin A Possum



On one such occasional when making my afternoon rounds I noticed a tripped trap, the door closed. I peeped inside and found a very ugly and hissing possum grinning back at me. I called my friend, Sylvester Burton and asked if he would like me to bring him this nasty looking critter and he expletively turned down the offer. He suggested I give Melvin Peterson a call, remembering he did partake of the possum cuisine. Now let me clarify that Sly, my rabbit box buddy is black as is Melvin and I am white. Sly nor I would consider eating a possum but Melvin, born of the old school, had lived through hard times apparently, and eating often meant you couldn’t be choosey. Papa and Melvin could have been best friends for sure.
I gave Melvin a call and he chuckled on the other end of the phone saying he would be there in ten minutes to take old fuzz face off my hands. I swear I heard him smacking his lips anticipating the forthcoming meal. Let me clarify that Melvin eats chicken feet or footsies as he calls them. They do sell them prepackaged in some grocery stores; I’ve seen them.
Melvin, like most folks in this southern setting, hunted for a hobby. He raised rabbit dogs, aka beagles, and just so happened to have his beagle hauling cage on the back of his old pickup truck. He lured the possum out of the box and into the cage. He advised me to burn out the box to remove the possum’s odor. I asked him what he planned to do with the scrawny black jack possum. He told me he would clean out its system with bread and milk, fatten it up for a couple of months then have it with sweet taters and onions, a Sunday dinner set for a king so he said. I witnessed him smack his lips first hand this time. Mine remained dry and chapped. I just told him not to invite me over.
I saw Melvin from time to time and he still had that possum in the beagle cage on his truck. He had never gotten around to relocating it in a pen. The possum had definitely put on a few pounds and appeared almost groomed, not greasy like I had last remembered seeing it. After the allotted couple of months had expired, I saw Melvin at one of our local hangouts, a country store of sorts where many a yarn was spun by hunters and fisherman alike. I peeked in the beagle cage and didn’t see Mister Black Jack. The cage was empty. Destiny had run its course I suspected.
I asked him how the old boy had tasted. He stared at the ground and acted right peculiar. He he-hawed around and finally said he didn’t eat him. I quizzed him further asking why? He said he couldn’t. I asked what had happened to the critter then. He told me he had set it free. I didn’t get it. Don’t get me wrong. I’m sort of glad he didn’t eat it. I just didn’t comprehend just why he had turned the critter loose after priming him for the oven.
Melvin told me that he had hauled that possum around with him everywhere and had even begun talking to it, paying it more attention that he did any of his beagles. He would share his meals with it, throwing it extra scraps. He said he couldn’t harm a pet and that is what it had become. You don’t garnish your friends with taters and onions he told me. That just isn’t right he spoke with conviction. I swear I saw him tear up just talking about that possum. I told him not to ride any chickens around in that cage or he would have to give up chicken footsies. We both laughed and I’m confident that possum is out there somewhere grinning and missing his friend too.