Friday, May 22, 2015

CONTINUED: Anger Problem



"Dave?  I really hate to bother you, but there's a fire."  She said this with the same amount of excitement in her voice as if she'd discovered weeds in the lawn. In dreamland, I had no idea who I was talking to when I woke up and found my self on the phone.

"Huh?" I said. "A large, with pepperoni and onions."

"No, you have to go to the fire.”  Now her voice was raised, as though what she had thought to be weeds were instead poisonous vines snaking her way.
“FIre, Dave.  F-I-R-E.”
“Call the fire department,” I said.  I was logical, if not yet fully in gear.
“There’s a FIRE, DAVE!"  she shouted.

I came fully awake and croaked, "Where's the fire?"

"Well, do you know where Bonnie Jones ran over the chicken last year on the Kings Highway?" she said.

"No, Mary, I don't know where =="

"Oh, sure you do!  Wait.  Put your wife on the phone. She'll remember."

I passed the phone to my wife, now awake, and jumped out of bed.

"Hi Mary," said my wife.  "Is little Beth still sick with the flu?"

"Where the hell is the f#%$-ing fire!" I hollered as I repeatedly tried to jam my feet into my fire boots, unaware that a moment before I'd automatically put my shoes on.

"Mary," said my wife, "David was wondering if you could tell him where the fire is."

"Of course I'm wondering where the f#%$-ing fire is!” I shouted.  "I'm a f#%$-ing fireman!"

Trying to pull up all my zippers, I ran to the closet and rummaged around for my fire helmet.  “Who’s been using my f%#$-ing fire helmet?" I cursed. 

I envisioned one of the kids making  Kool Aid in it.

"Where did Bonnie Jones run over the chicken last year?” I screamed.

"Oh," said my wife, "I don't know, dear.  Wait, I'll ask Mary.  Mary, David’s in an awful rush,  but he wants to know where Bonnie Jones ran over a ....   You know, I think it was turkey.  Mary, wasn't it a turkey?"

"How can I go to my first fire without my helmet?" I cried.

I stumbled out of the bedroom,  headed for the driveway. My wife ran down the hall after me, shouting,  “Mary agrees it was a turkey, dear.” 

I hoped that once on the road I’d come across another fireman and follow his pulsing blue light to the fire in the dead of night

I arrived at the fire wearing a Boston Red Sox cap.  The chief is a Yankees fan.  Declaring me dressed in an unsafe manner, he sent me out to buy coffee for everyone. 

Mary told her husband later she really didn't like calling me in the middle of the night, and she suspected I had an anger problem.  Only when I can't find my helmet.

copyright 2012, David Griffin

The Windswept Press
Murrells Inlet, South Carolina