Monday, May 11, 2015

CONTINUED: Jimmy Bean Post 31 &32 of 36


 

 

Saturday was a major shopping day and as I walked along people crowded on to Genesee Street, the main downtown shopping area.  Most either worked during the week and couldn’t shop or didn’t have their  paychecks until Friday night.  When I got to the City’s retail center,  the Busy Corner as it was called,  I found the going slow as I moved around people and often had to step off the curb to move ahead of the crowds.


When I passed Woolworth’s, the floorwalker was standing outside smoking.  I ignored him but I felt his eyes on me and that made me even more scared.


I passed the Kresge’s store and remembered how Blanche often took me in to the lunch counter and bought me a soda when I was a little girl.  She brought me downtown on the trolley and we jumped off in front of Grace Church and then crossed Elizabeth Street and walked through the wood and brass doors of the store.  Even if I didn’t need anything, Blanche always made sure I came home with some little trinket so when we finally arrived back in our kitchen, she could say, “Oh, let’s open our bags and look at our treasures.”  There were the times Blanche punished me for things like not coming in the house when she called or sassing back my English teacher in school.  How unfair I thought she was, probably because she wasn’t my real mother.  But at nineteen years of age I knew how much she loved me.  Bringing up a another woman’s daughter must have been a chore.


I was always worried about Jimmy, but this morning I became more afraid.  Why did he have me wait around the factory for him?  Maybe he wanted me in a place where I couldn’t get to him quickly.  If I had been home, I would have run the few blocks to his house when I began to worry about him causing trouble or doing something crazy.  But he never planned to do those things.  They seemed to come upon him, to ambush him.  Only if he planned something would he have called me the night before.  What could it be?  No, I pushed that thought from my mind.  Jimmy would never do that.  He knew he would go straight to Hell if he ... hurt himself. 


I convinced myself Jimmy was safe, but I could not for the life of me figure out what he was thinking.  Maybe it was nothing and I was just worrying too much.

 



I passed Grace Church as I continued up the hill.   I would never be married there.  Being Catholic I would settle for St. Francis de Sales if it didn’t crumble and fall down before Jimmy Bean and I finally got through all of this and he asked me to marry him.  But the doctor had said the man I loved wouldn’t get better, only worse.  There had to be some way to change that.  There just had to be a miracle waiting for us.


At the top of the hill I passed Mr. Proctor's Library, turned on to Eagle Street and soon was about to pass St. Francis de Sales Church.  A car drove up and pulled to the curb and Father Flaherty got out, thanking the driver for the ride.  When he saw me approaching, he forced a smile and said hello to me.


“Can I talk with you, Father?” I asked.


“Of course, Mary,” he responded, “how about Monday night after the Altar Rosary Society meeting.  Now there’s a group you may want to join!  Since you’re all grown up and working now.”


“I really need to talk now,” I said.


“Well, then come in, come in,” he said, but he didn’t sound enthusiastic.


We walked to the Rectory next door.  He inquired what might be the matter as we climbed the stairs to the porch, but I just sniffled.  I heard him sigh.  I knew he was an old Irish bachelor who probably didn’t look forward to hearing a young woman’s sob story, but he was also a priest and that was his job.


Inside the hallway, Mrs. Cartwright, the housekeeper, came up to us and Father told her we’d be in the study. 


”We won’t be long,” he said.  “There’s another meeting, I think, pretty soon.”


Father Flaherty’s office was spacious with two round-top stained glass windows.  Without electric lights, the place would have been as dark as a tomb.  He sat down behind a large brown desk that was piled with magazines and books.  When he leaned back in his swivel chair, it seemed like it would go all the way and topple over.  His face was back there in the gloom, peering out just over his knees and between the stacks of books.


“What is it you want to tell me, Mary?” he said.  He didn’t ask me to be seated.  I felt like a servant standing there, waiting for him to dismiss me.  I started to talk, but stopped.  There was a chair behind me covered in cracked leather, but when I sat in it Father disappeared behind the right hand pile of books and papers.  I stood and dragged the chair to my left and sat down again.


Father pulled his tobacco pouch from one side pocket, his pipe from the handkerchief pocket, a wooden match from his pants pocket and looked at me.  I sat mesmerized by this display of  a man preparing his drug.  He rolled far forward in the tilted chair and scraped the match on the sole of his shoe.  As soon as it exploded into a small fire, he rolled backward as his hand came up to light the pipe.  I thought he’d go over backward and I’d spend the week explaining how I was with Father Flaherty when he fell out of his chair, hit his head on the radiator and died before my very eyes. No, I couldn’t catch him.  The thought of death brought Jimmy to mind.  He’d never do that to himself.  I brushed it from my mind.