Tuesday, May 26, 2015

CONTINUED: Sturm und Drang



“It seems to me more like a sitting service, a kennel.”

“Wait till you try the food,” he said.

I puffed out my chest. “I won’t be here very long.”

Rusty cleared his throat.  “Most of us are essentially permanent residents.”

“Not me,” I said.  “I’m going to graduate and go home.”

Rusty smiled and looked away.

When we bedded down at the end of the evening, my mind could not lay down the thought I’d been left here for good.  I kept rubbing it like a sore, hoping it would feel better, wishing I could rub it away. I lay all night trying to figure out a riddle.  Over and over in my mind I pushed and pulled at the most confusing puzzle I’d seen so far in my puppy life.  How could the two old farts not understand how much I loved them?  And what did my behavior have to do with my loyalty to them, my need to be with them, to spark their attention, to get them to play with me, even if it meant pissing them off once in  a while?   And how could two people who had been so clueless in their early experience as human babies not understand that life was a process that didn’t start with good sense.  But eventually it was learned.

Morning dawned bright and early in the prison-kennel.  The Guards woke us by pounding on the roofs of our little houses.  Soon they were ladling out the tasteless gruel they called breakfast.  I felt a little sorry for sticking up my nose at the crunchy food I was served at home.  I didn’t care anymore if it was on sale.

After chow, I told the nearest Guard I was ready for my obedience lessons.  Bring ‘em on.  I would Ace the tests and get out of here and go home.  But by mid morning I confirmed with Rusty there was no training.  We were to do nothing but sit in our tiny house all week, getting a little time to run and jump and … well, not play … only in the evenings for ten minutes.

Just before noon, when Rusty said lunch would be what wasn’t eaten for breakfast, the door at the end of the parade ground opened.  Himself entered, followed by the warden who appeared upset.

She called after him, “Murphy hasn’t had time to learn anything.”

“I’m taking her home, in any case,” said Himself.

When the little door to our house refused to open easily, Himself gave a great pull.  The door came off in his hand.  He passed it back to Miss Ritalin, saying, “Sorry.”

We were soon in the car on our way home and Himself launched into a monologue.

He said he missed telling me to stop chewing his shoelaces and he noticed there was no warm ball of fur draped across his cold feet.  He said he woke up on his own that morning, because I wasn’t there to escape my cage and come bounding across the bed to land on his face, kicking and licking and trying to get my paws around his neck.  He said he didn’t miss my staring out the sliding door and barking at absolutely nothing for ten minutes, but he had a plan to help me shorten it to two minutes.  And he said Herself told him to not come home without me.

So, I’ve been to Obedience school and I would say I’m now a model of deportment.  (I’ll bet you haven’t heard that word since the third grade when Sister Mary Contrary said your deportment was showing and you looked down to see if your fly was open.)  I don’t have all of my behaviors quite in check, but when I act up and start chewing on the end of the old guy's belt as he lies  napping on the couch, one mention of the Canine Correctional Institute causes me to stop  and find some other rule to break.  It’s good to be home.  I plan on staying here.





copyright 2015, David Griffin