Saturday, May 9, 2015

CONTINUED: Jimmy Bean 26



Jimmy would have eventually been fired in any case because he missed work all the time.  Now he had no place to go on in the morning, so he stayed home and got more and more depressed.  Pa said people who knew the Beans mentioned that on weekends instead of staying home with Jimmy, his parents would find reasons to leave the flat on Square Street.  A girl I knew at work said the Mr. and Mrs. Bean just couldn’t take the insanity.  I don’t know why I could, but I don’t know for sure what he was like while he was at home with his parents.  On a weekend when I was off from work I’d sometimes go up to his house to see him, but I always called first to see if he was OK to be with.

More often Jimmy stopped at my house to get me and I seldom saw his parents.  He didn’t go to church at all any more.  I would see his mother and father at St. Francis when I attended Mass, but they avoided me.  At first I was hurt, to be honest, but since I’d didn’t really know them, I figured they might just be people who kept to themselves.  Someday their son would announce we were to be married and the dam would break and we’d all be good friends.  Blanche didn’t think so.

“How are Mr. and Mrs. Bean,” she asked, when I came home from church on a Sunday morning.

“Oh, fine,” I said.

“Does Jimmy go to church with them?” she asked.

“No, Blanche, he‘s not interested,” I said, hoping to sound disinterested myself.  At age eighteen I deserved a little privacy and I didn’t need to discuss everything with my step mother. 

”Are they busy getting ready for Thanksgiving?” she asked.  “Have they invited you?”

“What is this, Blanche, the third degree?” I asked, losing my composure.

“Mary,” she said, “I’m just asking.  I wondered how you were getting along with the parents of the boy you evidently are … the boy you think so highly of,” she finished.

We sat cutting out little strips of dough Blanche would bake into cinnamon swirls for dinner later this afternoon, neither of us speaking for a few moments.

“I thought,” I said, “if it was all right with you and Pa, I might invite Jimmy Bean to Thanksgiving here.”

Blanche kept cutting the strips, carefully letting her eyes follow the knife through the dough.  She said nothing.

“Of course, if you don’t want him to come here …”  I said.

“It isn’t that, Mary,” she replied.  “Look, can we talk about this without you flying off the handle?”

“I’m sorry,” I said.  “It’s just that …”  I didn’t know how to finish the sentence.

“I’m worried,” she said. “And he would never tell you, but your Pa is worried, too. He thinks Jimmy won’t be good for you, won’t be able to support a family.  You know he lost his job, don’t you?”

I did, of course, but I didn’t think Blanche and Pa knew.

“I was hoping Pa could give him some work in the metal business,” I said, using the term Pa always called the tinsmith work and furnace building he did in the little shop behind our house.

“We did discuss that,” said Blanche. “I told him frankly I thought it not a good idea.”

“Whatever for?”  I cried.  “He needs work, Blanche,”

“He needs to be independent,” she said, “so he can support you if he wants to marry you. And besides, your Pa’s work has dropped off now that mostly everyone has switched to a furnace.”

“Blanche, you have some nerve!” I said, raising my voice. “If Pa wants to help him--”

“I don’t, Mary,” came my father’s voice from behind me.  He had stepped up from the shop into the kitchen.  “That boy is not for you.  He’s got something screwed up in his head.”

I ran out of the kitchen into the parlor and plopped down on the dust cover on the couch and cried for twenty minutes.  Oh Ma, I prayed, get somebody up there to help me and Jimmy Bean.  I can’t live without him. 

But Jimmy was beyond help.