Sunday, May 10, 2015

CONTINUED: Bacon



Flying down an unimpeded straight line beneath the cupboards,  I skid into a turn and  hurtle through the doorway into the far end of the living room.  With a head of steam now building, I fly into the air, land on the couch and do a triple summersault down the length of the seat cushions.  Landing in the pillows, I topple onto the floor with a flourish.  Now is a good time to play “catch me if you can.”  I feint and dodge and almost always out-maneuver the two old folks who insist they own me.  Maybe they do, but not during Faster Than A Speeding Bullet.

Last night the guest named Mrs. Irish swooped down out of nowhere and scooped me up in her arms.  I didn’t fight very hard to free myself.  She cooed and smiled and said what a nice dog I was.

“But,” she said,  “you’re not very disciplined.”

“Well, no,” I yipped.  “So what?”

“Do you mind if I teach Murphy a few things?”  she asked of the old codgers.

“Be my guest,” the old man said, as a hopeful look dawned across his face.

With that, Mrs. Irish sat down on the couch, firmly placed me on the floor, flipped me on my side  and pressed me into the carpet.  I lay there  flattened like a slice of bacon..  I tried to mouth her, which is not quite a bite.  But she only smiled in surprise, again called me a nice dog and clamped her  iron hand around my muzzle. 

“Relax, Murphy,” she said.

How could I relax when every muscle of my body was clamped to the carpet and I couldn’t even open my mouth?

But she kept talking softly to me and eventually I did let my sails luff.

Suddenly, she let me go, I jumped up on her, but  she caught me and clamped me to the floor again.  This went on three or four more times until  I finally surrendered.  In fact, I’m thinking about maybe giving up jumping on people.

“Where did you learn to control dogs so well?” the old timer asked Mrs. Irish.

“At home,” she said, “practicing on our German Shepherd.”

“That’s a big, dog,” he said.

Mrs. Irish nodded in agreement.  “Baron is almost a hundred pounds and he’s pure jet black.”

“Holy crap,” I barked.  “Don’t bring him over here.”

“You should bring Baron over to play with Murphy,” the old man said.

“Are you crazy?” I barked.  “He’d have me for lunch.”

“Good idea,” said the Irishwoman.

“Hey!  Just a minute here,” I muttered.  “This is not a good idea.”

She was nodding her head again.  “Murphy would fall in line with a bigger dog around.”

“Fall in line?” I whimpered. “I’d fall over dead.”

And so Baron is due here this morning, in just a few minutes.  I’m sure he won’t want to play  Run Around In A Circle Untill We Drop or Pull The Pillows Off The Couch And Into The Bathroom.  And I’m sure he long ago gave up Bark Your Lungs Out For Fifteen Minutes At Absolutely Nothing.

The old codger looks happy to have made a deal with the devil as he opens the door.  I swear the smell of fire and brimstone drifts in.  I hear the devil woman’s high pitched womanly laugh.  And then comes a low rumbling growl.  I feel like a strip of bacon.



copyright 2015, David Griffin




Murrells Inlet, South Carolina

www.windsweptpress.com